Keeping NetBSD disklabel up to date

Is it safe and sufficient to run 'mbrlabel -fw <device>' on NetBSD whenever there has been partition resizing (usually via Gpartd) such that the disklabel no loner relects the current partitioning state?

System in question is an old 32bit i386 with MBR partition scheme on sata disc hosting several Linux partitions and one NetBSD FFS2 partition. Bootloader is GAG, not GRUB or native NetBSD bootloader.

If I wipe the disc and recreate a multi-boot setup is there a better partitioning scheme I could use for such an old system? I don't believe GPT is supported on the system in question.