Re: xen-bootable DomU images for linux

On 1/11/2023 2:21 PM, Brook Milligan wrote:
> > On Jan 11, 2023, at 10:02 AM, Chuck Zmudzinski <frchuckz%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> >
> > I'm glad to hear Debian install images are working now in Xen HVMs. Last time I
> > tried it they would crash almost immediately after starting.
>
> Yes.  Now I’m trying to get the others (Fedora, Ubuntu, LinuxMint) to boot as PV DomUs.  (All boot HVM and go through the install process.)
>
> With Fedora I am having trouble with (I think) getting the root file system to mount.  I have attached the config file and a transcript of the console output.
>
> I think the relevant bit is the end:
>
> FAILED Failed to start minitrd-switch-root.service - Switch Root.
> See 'systemctl status initrd-switch-root.service' for details.
>
> Generating "/run/initramfs/rdsosreport.txt"
>

> Entering emergency mode. Exit the shell to continue.
>
> Perhaps someone has more ideas?  Thanks for all the help.
>
> Cheers,
> Brook

Did you try omitting type = 'pvh' to see if for some reason the Fedora
image does not like PVH mode? That would boot it in PV mode instead.

I would just save the "/run/initramfs/rdsosreport.txt" file somewhere
so you can attach it to a Fedora bug report, as recommended in the
console output. Before that, of course see if you can search the Fedora
bug tracker (I think they use Bugzilla) or even just the Internet to see if
it's already been reported as a bug somewhere. Be sure to mention you
are trying to boot it in a Xen PV guest of type PVH and are using a NetBSD
Dom0. Probably also mention the Xen version and NetBSD version you are
using in the bug report, and the results of trying it without type = 'pvh' in
the guest config file.

Cheers,
Chuck