Re: xen-bootable DomU images for linux

On 1/10/2023 1:36 PM, Brook Milligan wrote:
> > On Jan 9, 2023, at 1:07 PM, Brad Spencer <brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost> wrote:
> >
> > It will depend on how you ultimately want to run the DOMU,
>
> For now, I’m just trying to get something to work.
>
> > This is a ArchLinux config using HVM:
> > kernel = "/usr/pkg/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
> > builder='hvm'
> > device_model_version="qemu-xen-traditional"
> > memory = 2048
> > cpu_weight = 64
> > name = "archlinux"
> > vif = [ 'bridge=bridge4, type=ioemu' ]
> > disk = [ 'phy:/dev/mapper/rustvg0-archlinuxlv0,ioemu:hda,w' ]
> > boot='c'
> > vfb = [ 'type=vnc,vnclisten=10.1.2.1' ]
>
> This is helpful as it seems to make a bit of progress.
>
> I downloaded a Debian image

You might have chosen the wrong Linux distro:

The root cause of that problem is:

It is clearly not a priority for Debian to provide good support for its
installation media in a Xen HVM.

There is a workaround to alter the iso file to make it work, but unless
you really want Debian, I would recommend trying a Fedora live image.
It does work on Xen HVM without special hacks, last time I tried it.

Cheers,

Chuck