NetBSD_10.0_BETA boot issues

The old problem of IDENTIFY failed and WDCTL_RST failed on the boot disk doesn’t seem to be completely fixed in the current 10.0_BETA builds.

When I try to capture the boot output on a serial console it never seems to show up, but when the boot output is sent to the main monitor it seems to fail about 90% of the time.  The HW I’m using boots and runs fine with Windows 10, Linux and NetBSD 9.2 using the same disks that show the error in 10.0_BETA, so I’m pretty sure it’s not a disk or other HW problem with my system.

Sometimes the boot log shows the “auto configuration error: IDENTIFY failed” and then can’t find any of the partitions on the disk.  When this happens it stops because it can’t locate the boot device.  Other times it reports this error but then goes on to find the partitions and seems to boot up and run successfully.  Usually during boot it reports WDCTL_RST failed and never configures the disk then crashes during the boot sequence.

I’ve seen this booting with either BIOS or UEFI, but only with 10.0_BETA and never with 9.2. The system is an HP 6200 with 3 SATA ports.  Windows 10 is on a disk on SATA port 0.  The boot problem happens regardless of which SATA port the NetBSD disk is attached to.

Be happy to try and provide more info if someone has suggestions.