Re: NetBSD matrix client?

Hauke Fath <hf%spg.tu-darmstadt.de@localhost> writes:

> On 11/24/22 7:03 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:
>
>> See chat/element-web.
>
> I did. From its name I figured it was something to run with a web server.

It is a client that runs in a browser, and the package contains the
files to be served to the browser.

> Looking at the package, neither DESCR, nor the Makefile, nor the PLIST
> gives me the slightest idea what to do with the thing - no
> dependencies, and a bunch of files dumped under
> PREFIX/share/element-web.

If you are actually trying to set it up, one adds

        location /element {
            alias /usr/pkg/share/element-web;

            add_header X-Frame-Options SAMEORIGIN;
            add_header X-Content-Type-Options nosniff;
            add_header X-XSS-Protection "1; mode=block";
            add_header Content-Security-Policy "frame-ancestors 'none'";
        }

with a server to nginx.conf.  A fair point that upstream's documentation
is not great, but it's sort of explained in the README at toplevel in
their github source repo.

> Which is quite representative for the whole matrix experience, as far
> as it's gone for me.

It is a little complicated.  I worked through setting up synapse as a
homeserver.

Besides Element, I believe there are other clients.   gomuks is in
pkgsrc.  There is also ement.el, for emacs.

In pkgsrc there is py-matrix-nio and py-mautrix, which have various
degrees of library support.

It would be nice if there were more clients.  But at least the specs are
published and there are no impediments to implementing it other than
that it is complicated.

Maybe you can get the university to use XMPP instead.