Re: Running a service on a console in the foreground

Benny Siegert <bsiegert%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> Is it possible to have some program running in the foreground on one
> of the VTs on startup, instead of getty? I would like it to start up
> on boot and use the console for input and output. How do you set up
> such a thing, or is this simply not supported?

1) You could try putting it in /etc/ttys.  Your program would have to be
getty-ish.

2) You could tell /etc/ttys not to do anything, and then have your
program revoke all tty, and then open the one you want.  Surely this is
doable.

I would say 1 likely has a gotcha I haven't thought  of, but maybe not,
and even if so working through it, reading the getty code for
inspiration, is what I would do if I had your requirements/wishes.