Re: help with cron/rsync error message

On 11/18/22 12:20 PM, Steve Blinkhorn wrote:
Anything to do with system configuration or services - mostly
concentrated in /etc but also including, for instance, /var/cron/tabs -
needs protection in the upgrade process.  What would be ideal would be
a process that never overwrites a customised configuration file with a
fresh new default.

etcupdate(8) is your friend.

It will update all the files under /etc it recognizes as untouched, and will offer options (keep old/new, merge) for any locally changed files.

As long as you understand what you are doing, it is perfectly safe. I must have used it hundreds of times. My routine is basically

Install new kernel (with modules, if you use those)

Reboot to single user with new kernel

Untar* all sets except {,x}etc.tar.whatever_compression

Reboot

Run etcupdate (and postinstall) with {,x}etc.tar.whatever_compression

Reboot

... and back in business.

Cheerio,
Hauke

* I have a script for that, but it's strictly for convenience

()     No HTML/RTF in email	        Institut für Nachrichtentechnik
     Respect for open standards              Ruf +49-6151-16-21344