Upgrade 9.2->9.3 x86 issues - Part 1

Hi,

I started upgrading my various computers to 9.3, starting from the most "standard" ones. Unfortunately my first two attempts already went havoc.
Upgrade method chosen was to use the CD ISO.

Candidate is a ThinkPad T30, running classic intel x86 32bit, running 9.2 with a very standard installation. I insert the CD, select upgrade and start the process. No big issues until postinstall, which I did not write down but appeared on minor packages, like fontconfig.

I reboot and find the system partially upgraded, boot blocks are new, but the kernel is still old: netbsd 9.2. I find in the root the new kernel called netbsdXXXX where XXXX is a random suffix.

Can I re-run postinstall from the "new system" like sysupgrade on OpenBSD and get a log of the error so that I can share them?

The non-installed kernel is due to the installer not finishing postinstall and not replacing te kernel for safety, perhaps?

Second candidate, still x86, is an Acer Aspire. This is also very standard, except I had a second kernel on the HDD but with a custom name, so that it could boot without crashing. This notebook has an nvidia card and it crashes. Unfortunately it still happens - I'll report separate on this. So I have to boot the cdrom with "-c", disable nouveau and continue installation. Here I have a lot of strange issues, first attempt I got up to downloading the kernel set, then got a hardware error. I reboot with a second attempt, I get an error in the ethernet autoconfiguration I/O error. If I try a reboot from menu, I get a segfault  Either the kernel is unstable on this system, or the HW broke. I will stress-test it a little running 9.2 and report back.

Third candidate is another ThinkPad, T43, which is extremely stable on 9.2. I boot the CD without issues, but while downloading kern-GENERIC.tgz I get an issue again with cd0 which says cd removal requested, sense error and fails. I try to reboot from menu, get a segfault.
This looks similar the Acer Aspire!
I made a second attempt. This time I got as far as postinstall and got these failed postinstall fixes: gid, x11, uid

gid and uid both fail becasue _nsd, _unbound, nvmm missing. I wonder why this was not automated? Without a log, I don't know what failed in x11. In this case, however, reboot completed, system boots and pkgin upgraded all packages! X11 & Firefox work... so most looks fine.

Suggestions welcome.

I have other machines to install and will report separately.

Cheers,
Riccardo

PS: summary:

Thinkad T30 - i386 - CD: postinstall fails, kernel not installed
Thinkpad T43 - i386 - CD: first attempt HW issues, second attempt postinstall failures, but works Acer Aspire - i386 - CD: fails boot for nvidia nouveau if enabled, fails for HW issues during install