Re: Race condition with Raspberry Pi 3 root on NFS

On Sun, 30 Oct 2022 16:54:34 -0700
Andy Ruhl <acruhl%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 30, 2022 at 2:18 PM Aaron B. <aaron%zadzmo.org@localhost> wrote:

> There used to be a way to build a kernel with a hardcoded NFS root
> option. I dug around in evbarm and aarch64 and didn't see something
> familiar to me (from like 15 years ago when I was doing this).

It's a good thought - I have an O-Droid C1+ still on 7.1.2 booting
exactly that way.

The issue, though, is that the mue0 simply isn't in the device tree -
not yet. The kernel boots up, looks for mue0, doesn't find it, then
drops to a prompt. A few seconds later the USB bus stabilizes and mue0
attaches.

I assume attempting to use a USB key or USB-to-SATA device as root
would result in the same behavior.

--
Aaron B. <aaron%zadzmo.org@localhost>