Re: Does any common mortals here (not programmers or sysads) use NetBSD as their daily productivity driver?

On Fri, 30 Sept 2022 at 17:57, Fekete Zoltán <fekete.zoltan%minux.hu@localhost> wrote:

Hi There,

My daily driver with NetBSD 9.3 is a Lenovo Thinkpad t430s (2013)

Works:
- wifi
- i915 display
- mini dispay port output
- Hungarian keyboard
- audio
- webcam
- USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports
- card reader

Works partially:
- touchpad (no two finger gestures)

Does not work:
- display backlight. Workaround: set the brightness when starting up the
laptop (BIOS handles).

Generally a very good choice for a portable NetBSD workstation. The
screen resolution and screen quality is a bit low end, though.
Owerall performance is quite impressive, I suggest to install 16GB of
RAM and SSD. Firefox startup time after coldstart is about 2-3 seconds.
I use that to develop C++ applications using NetBeans IDE. The build
time is acceptable as I can use 4 cores.

I'm not having a go at you, but I stated in my topic "not programmers
or sysads" and I practically got answers only from that category.

So, my impression is: if you're not either a programmer, a sysad or an
NetBSD official developer, stay away.

Yes, I know , there's a bit of unnecessary bitterness in my statement
but please change my mind.

Hi Ottavio,

I understand your point. However there is literally no device available commercially with NetBSD preinstalled and supported for the public. This means one should have some level of self support in the IT field. That's why everybody else drives in your opposite direction on the motorway. I mean developers/sysadmins/etc want to share their knowledge to help finding an answer.

My answer here, similar to the others are not targeted only for you, but for anybody who want to get information in the topic. Somebody who wants to try NetBDS or wants a device running smoothly will find this thread. This is a public mailing list, researcheable on internet. It's ok it is not relevant for you. Please ignore it.

NetBSD is my very favourite operating system personally, and I love people here because we are polite, friendly and helpful with each other. Please keep this in mind when writing here.

Cheers,
 FeZ