Re: Low power server ideas

Le Fri, Sep 02, 2022 at 07:38:19AM -0700, Andy Ruhl a écrit :
> Hello all,
>
> I've been running a NetBSD server on i386 for about 20 odd years, I
> should go back and check when I actually started it. I sort of
> accidentally upgraded it to amd64 a while back but it worked.
>
> Anyways, it seems like time to move to something else, maybe lower
> power if possible.
>
> I found this which is very interesting:
>
> https://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/making_rockpro64_a_netbsd_server
>
> Using a 128gig internal MMC would be plenty for OS and some local
> storage then I would add some other disks, possibly SSD.
>
> Looking for other ideas if anyone has any.

I use this with NetBSD:

https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/A20/A20-OLinuXino-LIME2/open-source-hardware

It has even a SATA port (but you can only power a 2.5" disk since it
provides only 5V power; if you want a 3.5" you need probably an
enclosure with power supply).

The board takes 5V and consums up to 0.650A; if you add USB devices
(2.0), you can add, at worst, 0.5A per device.

I use it for a GIS server, with low trafic, and since it is mainly
vectorial stuff, only an USB key as storage with some tens of GB is
needed. I have just made these days the computation of the energy
needed (with the configuration, the programming and its use for now:
mainly it processes files on a daily basis to update maps and
databases, producing even xlsx files, but via a cron job called once
at end of working day) and it consumes only 30kWh / year...
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                    http://kertex.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/