Re: updating direct from 5 to 9?

Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 08:23:37AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> The failure appears to be the same for /sbin/ifconfig and
>> /rescue/ifconfig, suggesting that the problem is that the kernel doesn't
>> respond correctly to something, rather than shlib issues.
>
> We do not always provide full binary compat for ioctls (we usually try, but
> sometimes it gets tricky).

Apparently people thought it should work, so there's at least
communicating that.  But I didn't believe it without trying it.

I guess we do need to provide full compat for the previous major branch,
as a 9 kernel on an 8 userland really needs to be perfectly functional
and remote adminable.

> Off hand I am not sure if this instance is worth fixing (or what effort
> it would take).

Agreed.

> A simple way around it is (while still running the old kernel) to extract
> the netbsd-9 rescue set, e.g. to /rescue-9 and then before rebooting
> into the netbsd-9 kernel move /sbin/ifconfig to /sbin/ifconfig.old and
> hard link /rescue-9/ifconfig to /sbin/ifconfig.

Yes, or to update to 7 and then to 9.   I have no idea what else would
fail next with just ifconfig fixed up.