Re: xterm and desktop-file-utils dependency

On Mon, 18 Jul 2022 at 18:38, Vitaly Shevtsov <shev.vt1984%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> Can desktop-file-utils be optional for xterm? Because this dependence
> requires heavy glib2 and it seems removing it from x11/xterm/Makefile
> has no side effects.

There are probably two obvious approaches to this.

The simpler would be to add a desktopdb option to xterm/options.mk
(defaulting to on), though all other packages including
sysutils/desktop-file-utils/desktopdb.mk should really be updated to
match

A better approach would probably be to adjust
desktop-file-utils/desktop.db.mk to not depend on the
desktop-file-utils package, and desktop-file-utils/files/install.tmpl
to check for the presence of UPDATE_DESKTOPDB before calling it.
desktop-file-utils already calls UPDATE_DESKTOPDB on install, so it
should Just Work... I might have a poke at this later :)

David