Re: Anyone had problems with .Xresources ??

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 09, 2022 at 10:09:16AM +0000, Todd Gruhn wrote:
> if I do:
>
> xrdb .Xresources
>
> I works, and the MWM menus loop as I had it.
>
> WHEN I BOOT NetBSD -- the file (db is gone??)  gives me
> a menu with ONLY GREY backdoors (EMACS is read black).

You should be aware that the Xt widget (and thus, Motif/Lesstif
widget) resources are in the running X server, and when you finish
a session, those values are (usually) wiped (when the X server
restart, especially when you boot the machine, too, of course).

To be precise:

X resources are read from (in decreasing priority):

- command line arguments of a program started
- the ones stored in the X server, when the program doesn't
  get one from a command line
- default values from the tree /usr/X11R7/lib/X11/app-defaults/
- compiled-in fallbacks

That's why you can override compiled-in or app-defaults values with
on the fly with xrdb, but you need to push them to your running X
server each time you restart it.

Regards,
	-is

-