Re: TrueType fonts not showing up

Martin Neitzel wrote in
 <20220523172301.59DD734893%marshlabs-mx.gaertner.de@localhost>:
 |Steve Blinkhorn:
 |> I would be grateful for a pointer to a description of how to ensure
 |> TrueType fonts in /usr/X11R7/lib/X11/fonts/TTF are available for use.
 |> I have some, but they don't show up with xlsfonts, so I imagine
 |> there's some misconfiguration or lack of configuration.  I last
 |> tangled with X11 fonts a looong time ago.
 |
 |Scalable fonts get managed with "font-config", for example:
 |
 | fc-list
 | fc-list :scalable=true:spacing=mono: family
 |
 | xterm -fa 'Luxi Mono' -fs 24

I use

  $ cat /x/src/ttf-fonts/update.sh
  #!/bin/sh -

  doone() {
          echo $1..
          cd $1 || exit 21
  #       xset +fp `pwd`
          mkfontscale
          mkfontdir
          rm -f .uuid
          fc-cache -f .
  }

  while [ $# -gt 0 ]; do
          doone $1
          shift
  done
  #xset fp rehash
  #fc-cache -r

And in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf (i did nothing) it says (among a lot
of other things i do not understand -- i mean, XML, really)

        <!-- Font directory list -->

        <dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir>
        <dir>/usr/local/share/fonts</dir>

And basically i only have some fonts in /usr/share/fonts/X11/TTF/.
That works (it is a Linux though i hope that does not matter).

 |      HTH, Martin Neitzel
 --End of <20220523172301.59DD734893%marshlabs-mx.gaertner.de@localhost>

--steffen