Re: Option -p in apropos(1)

On Mon, 16 May 2022 at 21:05:59 +0200, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
>Rocky Hotas wrote in
> <20220516180129.gwvmvesgw4dxeage@delpotro>:
> |On mag 16 18:11, Rocky Hotas wrote:
> |>
> |> Am I doing something wrong?
> |perl5320delta (1)       what is new for perl v5.32.0
> |...Configure  4 For clang++, add "#include <stdlib.h>" to Configure's
> |probes for "futimes", "strtoll", "strtoul", "strtoull", "strtouq",
> |otherwise the probes would fail to compile.  4 Use a compile and run
> |test for "lchown" to satisfy clang++ which should more...
> |
> |--More--(byte 3792)myhostname$
> |
> |Where `myhostname$' is my bash prompt. So, more(1) tries to start,
but
> |it immediately exits.
>I have no idea but does the program combo honour $LESS and if so
>does it contain use of alternate screen and quit-at-eof?
>What does "LESS= apropos X" do?
>And are there terminal controls somewhere in the one page.
>Other than that it gets more complicated.

It does accept $PAGER as a definition of what tool to use for the
purpose, though that wasn't documented in the apropos(1) man page. I
just added it.

Due to evidently historical reasons (as I understand it), interestingly
the man(1) code handles this rather differently than apropos(1) does,
with more considerations (about checking and sanitizing input), and a
different call to run the pager.

Regards,

Dave