Sendmail SMTP AUTH no longer works

I've upgraded to pkgsrc-2022Q1 and now SMTP AUTH no longer works. This upgrades all the cyrus stuff to 2.1.28 from 2.1.27 as well as revbumping sendmail 8.16.1. The configuration files have not changed and yes, I'm installing the cy2-plain, etc. plugins.

I've found that if I revert to my previous pkg set and then upgrade just the cyrus components to 2.1.28, then it still works. If I upgrade sendmail from 8.16.1 to 8.16.1nb1 (which also requires me to force upgrade openldap-client) then this stops AUTH working (whichever version of the cyrus components are in place).

I've tried to use ktrace to work out what's happening, but sendmail seems to be successfully opening the various sasl files and I don't see any obvious differences between the good and bad traces. Any ideas on how to debug this?

--
Stephen