Re: Trying to install?

On Sat 02 Apr 2022 at 19:28:42 +0200, smurfd wrote:
> > Yes, from the boot loader (see boot(8), userconf) and from boot.cfg you
> > can give the commands that you can give to the userconf prompt. boot.cfg
> > syntax looks a bit weird I think, since it requires a "keyword=..."
> > style for everything, so you get something like "userconf=disable ehci*"
> > (example taken from boot.cfg(5))
>
> I guess this is after you have installed netbsd, and not in the installer
> itself? seems i cant drop to an actual shell from the installer menu or from
> the "drop to boot prompt". Tried both Ctrl+C and Ctrl+Z... saw in the
> installer after dropping to boot prompt, that you can do like `userconf
> disable nouveau0`

Both, I suppose, if you need it. If you have trouble already with the
installer image, then you'd have to drop to the boot prompt when you see
the countdown.

I don't have the details exactly in my head, but I think it's something
like a countdown, where you have to press any key to interrupt, and then
you can choose an item from the boot menu. One of them should be to drop
to the boot prompt.

For the installer it would be a bit tricky to change the /boot.cfg file
(not impossible, but if you're just getting started with all this then
it's probably too much). So there the boot prompt would be the place to
try out userconf settings.

For the installed system, it would be tedious to keep doing this every
time you boot. Fortunately once you have a running system it's easy to
edit /boot.cfg and add one or more lines.

The installer should have a shell option, in e: Utility menu -> a:
Run /bin/sh.

-Olaf.
--
___ "Buying carbon credits is a bit like a serial killer paying someone else to
\X/  have kids to make his activity cost neutral." -The BOFH    falu.nl@rhialto