Re: groff issue after upgrade to NetBSD-9.2

Thanks, helpful and enlightening, and I am pursuing the
Heirloom distribution.  Shame about the name, though, sounds like
'legacy' which has come to mean out-of-date.  Troff is one of those
software designs that far exceeded in its capabilities the purposes
for which it was originally designed.

But I have to dispute the matter of ordinary users not needing to
modify files.  The DESC file as distributed supposes a North American
user base, with the papersize variable set to letter.   This has a
number of minor implications for layout specification, but also
results in printers either demanding that letter-size paper be loaded,
which means at the least fiddling with printer settings to pretend
that A4 paper is really letter size paper, or in some cases the
document just not printing in my experience.

And are people generally happy with the standard PostScript fonts?  I
find them ugly and old-fashioned for the most part.  We dropped
Palatino as our standard house style once PostScript printers came
along - its version of Palatino is much uglier than the one we used
with DEC LN03 laser printers way back.

The fact that the Heirloom release has much more flexible font-file
handling is a real benefit: it was sweated labour converting our font
collection to be usable with groff (but it is a big collection).

--
Steve Blinkhorn <steve%prd.co.uk@localhost>