Re: groff issue after upgrade to NetBSD-9.2

Answer:

Unpacking the textproc set overwrites files like
/usr/share/groff_font/devps/DESC and devps/download, and maybe other
files which have been adapted or expanded locally.  The unpacking
process follows any symbolic link that devps has been set to rather
than overwriting the symbolic link with a hard directory.  Fortunately
I have backups.   Would this not be worth a warning in the installation
guide - it's a similar issue  to /etc, where precious lolcalisations
risk being lost?

I know thered is a move not to includee groff etc. in the main
distribution, but some of us use it extensively: I have substantial
software systems which emit *roff source files, it's not just a
manpage generator.

--
Steve Blinkhorn <steve%prd.co.uk@localhost>

You wrote:

> This is on amd64, but I doubt that that's relevant.
>
> I have an extensive collection of fonts for PostScript, so
> /usr/share/groff_font/devps is a symbolic link to a /fonts directory.  It
> has been so since NetBSD-1.x and before that on BSD/OS and before that
> into the mists of time.
>
> I upgraded to NetBSD-9.2 several days ago, and suddenly my standard
> document formats come out all wrong.  The glyphs for the
> variously-acquired (e.g. bought from Linotype) fonts do not seem to be
> available, and the font metrics are wrong for the glyphs that do
> appear.
>
> I have a practical solution for the moment: if I mount_nfs a backup
> copy of the same fonts directory on a remote server and point
> groff_font/devps at that instead, everything goes back to normal.
>
> Anyone have any insight into why migrating from 7.0 to 9.2 might cause
> such a problem?
>
> --
> Steve Blinkhorn <steve%prd.co.uk@localhost>

--
Steve Blinkhorn <steve%prd.co.uk@localhost>

This email is for the addressee only.   If you are not the addressee
you should immediately delete this email from your system(s) and
inform us.   It may contain information that is confidential or
otherwise privileged, and should not be copied or redistributed to
recipients not originally specified as addressees without permission.

S F Blinkhorn MA PhD CPsychol FBPsS, Managing Director,
Psychometric Research & Development Ltd.
PO Box 1143, St Albans, Herts, AL1 9UT, UK
Registered in England No. 1909571
Registered Office: Verulam Point, Station Way, St Albans, Herts, AL1 5HE
Phone: +44 (0)1727 841455
http://www.prd.co.uk