Re: USB headphones

Hi Todd,

Am 17.01.2022 um 23:27 schrieb Todd Gruhn:
I found a nice set of headphones -- but they ARE USB.

Is there a way to send sound to a/the USB port?

yes of course you can. In USB headphones there is a built-in D/A converter which is connected to the computer via the USB port. Where it gets interesting is with driver support. NetBSD can do this in principle with the "uaudio" driver (man 4 uaudio), but there could be problems in the following cases:

- uaudio currently supports only release 1.0 of the USB Audio Spec. Release 2.0 is not backward compatible according to the manpage and is not supported. It might be difficult to find out which release your headphones require, only try it out.

- if the PC has only USB 3.0 ports, uaudio seems to work only with current (that's what I recently got as an answer to a similar question here).

Many greetings
Matthias