Re: Raspberry Pi as wireless AP, with pluggable usb modem

On Sun, 2 Jan 2022 at 16:25, Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> wrote:

> Is it possible to set up RPI (3B) as a WiFi AP and use a USB device (a
> modem or USB tethered phone) to connect to the internet?
>
> A different USB device may be used at different times, so the interface
> may vary (or may sometimes be absent). Ideally it should not require
> manually running a command depending on the device plugged.
>
> If feasible, please help with more pointers or information.

The multiple outbound interfaces would be the simpler part (I have set
up something similar with a PC Engines APU
https://www.pcengines.ch/apu.htm running openvpn and using outbound
ethernet or USB attached phone tether, but with dedicated AP hardware)

For the outbound part just run dhcpcd and exclude any internal
interfaces, it will switch between USB or ethernet based on which is
up and has an IP. I actually do the same with my laptop but with
ethernet, wifi & USB tethered phone and it pretty much Just Works.

David