Re: is c99 permitted within the kernel?

On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 05:08:34AM +0000, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> if i remember correctly, c99 is not allowed
> within the userland that is closest to the
> kernel, i.e. those tools and utilities which
> are required just after the kernel boots up.
> given that, is c99 permitted within the
> kernel?

C99 basically is allowed everywhere, but we used to have a rule that all
"tools" (that is everything build with "build.sh tools") should be buildable
even if the host compiler is not C99 capable.

This was meant to ease bootstraping the NetBSD cross build system everywhere.

I'm not sure we actually still enforce this rule though (or if we should).

Martin