Re: manpage section-names

On Sat, 30 Oct 2021, Todd Gruhn wrote:

> I noticed that the manpage-reader at man.netbsd.org has
> sections 3LUA and 9LUA. I noticed my system also has sections
> 3f, 3am, and n . What are the names of these sections?
>
> As I continue installing software, will I have more new manpage-sections
> installed?

I didn't look at the PLISTs (package lists), but likely you will not.
See /etc/man.conf for the _subdir list and the sections. If a
package installs elsewhere, likely your man won't see it. But you can
edit man.conf if really needed (but may be better to fix the package
install).

3lua   see "man 3lua intro"

9lua   see "man 9lua instro"

3f is empty on my system, but I have it under the old CSRG...
"This section describes those functions that are in the Fortran run time
library."

3am as installed on my system from package is the  "Free Software
Foundation" "GNU Awk Extension Modules"

n I didn't search for definition of "n" but I have (on very old BSD):
tcl, Tk, X Version 10, dipress, and a bunch of third-party software from
SPMS like Jove.

- Jeremy

echo Ohl zl obbx uggc://errqzrqvn.arg/obbxf/csfrafr/ | \
 tr "Onoqrsuvxzabcefghl" "Babdefhikmnoprstuy"