Re: Some bug in libc/gen/fstab.c

On Thu 14 Oct 2021 at 20:57:01 +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> Could this be some common gtk filepicker with its own fstab parsing code?

It must be the gtk3 file thingie (I keep thinking "requester" due to
Amiga Intuition history :). vim-gtk3 shows the same window.

> As a quick test, what happens if you (briefly) comment out all entries
> in fstab?

Of course, when I tested it just now, it worked fine (even before
changing my fstab file further). I tried vim-gtk3 and loffice (I don't
like crashing my firefox so much).

I think I cought a stack trace some months ago but I didn't keep notes
from them. I think there was some memory corruption and it did crash
somewhere in the function in libc, called via some gtk library. I'm
starting to suspect that the gtk library uses the libc function wrong.
Maybe it overwrites the statically allocate struct fstab which is
returned, or something like that.

Searching in some plausible packages, I find
glib-2.68.4/gio/gunixmounts.c which used getfsent() but is a maze of
#ifdefs. But at first sight I see nothing obviously wrong with it.
It uses setfsent(), a loop on getfsent() and then endfsent().

I'll have to see if I can catch it in the act again...

> David
-Olaf.
--
___ "Buying carbon credits is a bit like a serial killer paying someone else to
\X/  have kids to make his activity cost neutral." -The BOFH    falu.nl@rhialto