old thinkpad running hot

My 10-year-old ThinkPad X201 was running very hot (80+ degC).  After
re-applying the CPU thermal paste and cleaning the fan it now runs much
cooler (47-53 degC in normal use), but still ca 10-12 degrees hotter
than under debian, which I ran just to compare (btw envstat(4) doesn't
show the fan speed).

I enabled estd(1) (w/o much tweaking), but that didn't seem to make any
difference.

I'm aware this is a known issue, but am unsure of why/how Linux seems
to manage this better.  Is there something I could contribute to a
potential fix?

$ uname -v
NetBSD 9.2_STABLE (GENERIC) #0: Thu Sep 23 10:13:28 UTC 2021  mkrepro%mkrepro.NetBSD.org@localhost:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC

Thanks,