Re: disk scrubbing

Patrick Welche <prlw1%cam.ac.uk@localhost> writes:

> Any thoughts on the pros and cons of
>
>    # cgdconfig -s cgd0 /dev/sd0e adiantum 256 < /dev/urandom
>    # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rcgd0d bs=64k progress=512
>    # cgdconfig -u cgd0
>
> vs
>
>    # dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/rsd0e bs=64k progress=512

I don't think it makes much difference.

The two worries are 1) whether the writes actually happen and 2) is a
single write of data sufficient.

For 1, I would expect that if there were some failure, errors would be
easier to grasp from the dd method, being less complicated, and

For 2, modulo the SSD caveats, I'd write random bits three times, rather
than once.  There, dd from /dev/urandom seems good enough.   It's not
that hard to run it three times.