Re: Firefox (other GTK3 apps?) sends PDF to PostScript printer

On Fri, Aug 13, 2021 at 10:20:26AM -0500, John D. Baker wrote:

> Okay, since I always install "print/a2ps", I changed the print command
> in the "system print dialog" from "lpr" to "a2ps" and it seems to do
> the right thing.  The annoying part is that this seems to not be persistent
> (or is not managed by Firefox), so I have to put it in every time.

Put an output filter in your printer definition that invokes a2ps on the print job.  You
could even be clever and make the filter detect a PDF and only run a2ps on that.

> Likewise with the paper size--even though Firefox lets "US Letter"
> (na_letter) persist, the "system print dialog" always defaults to A4
> and if I don't change it to "US Letter" EVERY TIME, the print job is
> ignored.

I know it is not supportive, but, welcome to what the rest of the world has been putting up
with for decades.  Just about everywhere else apart from the US uses the metric system but
just about everything had to be tweaked, sometimes unsuccessfully, to use metric.

--
Brett Lymn
--

"We are were wolves",