Re: LTO support

Pouya Tafti <pouya+lists.netbsd%nohup.io@localhost> writes:

Yes, amanda can deal with drives without changers.

>> These days, disks are pretty cheap, but they probably cost
>> more to mail, and mailing them often isn't really good for
>> them.  Think about the cost of a 4T external USB drive vs
>> tapes that hold 4T.
>
> I'm mainly concerned about the durability of data stored
> offline on tape for extended periods and their relative
> fragility (but maybe I'm ignorant and they're sturdier nowadays
> than they were 20-30 years ago...).

My view is that any one disk or tape is not that safe, but that if you
have copies on 5 disks (not all in the same place) the odds you can read one of them are very high.

> With periodic rewrites, my concern is I may discover corruption
> (due to RAM, OS bug, etc.) too late after all copies have been
> corrupted.

yes, that's why it's important to add state to backups, not overwrite
all the time, and hence bup or equiv.

Even if you go with a tape setup you may also want to bup/etc. to
offline local hard disk.