Re: Thoughts regarding system-backups

On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 at 19:25, Jörn Clausen <joernc%googlemail.com@localhost> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 7:49 PM David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> I've had good experiences with dirvish - backing up both locally and
>> from remote machines.
>> around 12TB of data synced/online backed up from one master to two
>> offsite copies, but thats a differnt use case :-p
>

> Never heard of dirvish. Is it still maintained? It's written if Perl and depends on several modules, so it might not work forever...
>
> rdiff-backup had a similiar problem (it was stuck on Python 2), but it has been put back to life recently, so I would give that a try.

I had some nightmares with rdiff-backup a long time ago. I'm sure it's
all better now, but the memory is painful enough that I would probably
not use it again.

While dirvish could break in future, and I'd love for there to be
active development on it, I've been using it continually on at least
one machine since 2007 and its dependencies are rsync and two p5-Time
modules, so I'm happy to keep using it until something better comes
along :)

David