Re: tzfile

On Thu, 22 Jul 2021, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:

I need some help reading it. zdump -i /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Paris
reports 1108 transitions.

tzh_timecnt    4 bytes @ 0x53  value 0x65 = 101 in decimal

tzh_timecnt is "coded number of transition times". How do I find 1108 for
tzh_timecnt?

I'm pretty sure the rest are generated (up to the cut-off year of 2500) from the transition rule at the very end of the file: M3.5.0,M10.5.0/3

The tzfile(5) man-page states:

    After the second header and data comes a newline-enclosed,
    POSIX-TZ-environment-variable-style string for use in handling
    instants after the last transition time stored in the file or
    for all instants if the file has no transitions.

-RVP