RE: Confused about setting up MATE desktop

Check https://pkgsrc.se/audio/aiomixer

Have fam and dbus installed for rc.conf :

echo dbus=YES >> /etc/rc.conf
echo famd=YES >> /etc/rc.conf
echo rpcbind=YES >> /etc/rc.conf
echo ipv6addrctl_policy=ipv4_prefer >> /etc/rc.conf
echo ipv6addrctl=YES >> /etc/rc.conf

Scripts to copy :

cp /usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d/famd /etc/rc.d/
cp /usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d/dbus /etc/rc.d/