Re: backspace in wscons console sends ^H to processes

On 2021-07-20 08:03, Michael van Elst wrote:
bqt%update.uu.se@localhost (Johnny Billquist) writes:

But anyway. The big point is that teletypes actually just had a key
labelled "rubout". That key did send a DEL character, though.

Backspacing on a punch tape would have come pretty unnatural. :)

True. But then again, punch tape on the teletype is optional. And the terminal itself do understand backspace, I seem to remember.

N.B. I haven't actually seen a key labelled "rubout". But the editor manual
mentioned it a lot (together with "altmode" for what is nowadays known
as Escape).

Just google any image of an ASR-33 keyboard?

  Johnny