Re: ZFS RAIDZ2 and wd uncorrectable data error - why does ZFS not notice the hardware error?

RVP <rvp%SDF.ORG@localhost> writes:

> You can make the drive itself do that whole disk scan and collect
> the `offline' statistics while it is doing so. This is using the
> smartmontools package:
>
> root# smartctl -t long /dev/XXX
>
> The command will show how long it'll take for that test to complete
> (a few hours for TB-capacity drives). After the command completes
> (or to check on test progress) run:
>
> root# smartctl --all /dev/XXX > /tmp/XXX.smart-log.txt

Good point.  I like to read all the way to the OS, and my way works on
USB, but your suggested test can be faster and it's nice to get the
stats recorded.

> mp@: What's surprising is, apart from that `Current pending sector'
> count--which hasn't dropped below the threshold (none of the current
> values have), how pristine the drive looks. Is it a new drive? If
> it is, then sector reallocation happening on it is a worry. Are
> the cables also OK? Check them, too.

The drive reports at about 3-4 years of power on hours.

fair to check cables, but that usually shows up as ata timeouts or
checksum, not uncorrectable read.

>   9  74    0     no  online  positive    Power-on hours count        83567178701327

wow, that's a lot!

I find drives from 15 years ago (say at 400G capacity) to me more
reliable than newer drives.