Re: where is device manufacturer/model kept?

Thanks for this.  I had just got there myself when your email came in
- sysctl(8) is not in my habitual foraging territory, but the (?new)
online version of the manual guided me once I'd worked out that
section 8 was the most likely home for something like this.

Grabbing the line from /var/run/dmesg.boot itself isn't guaranteed to work
- on one of my curently-running machines the file starts with many
lines reflecting an arp problem, and continues thus:

uhub2: port 2 reset failed
uhub4 at uhub2 port 2: Terminus Technology USB 2.0 Hub, class 9/0, rev
2.00/1.11, addr 3
uhub4: single transaction translator
uhidev0 at uhub4 port 3 configuration 1 interface 0
uhidev0: Logitech USB Receiver, rev 1.10/15.00, addr 4, iclass 3/1...

--
Steve Blinkhorn <steve%blinkhorn.com@localhost>