Re: Converting Cat-3 phone to Cat-5 ethernet

> It is possible to connect an analog phone to a router connected to the
> cable/internet
> network? It would require converting 4-wire connection to a 8-wire
> connection.
> I wanna be rid of the cable-modem (and possibly block Microsoft upgrades)
> .
>
> Has anyone done such a thing?

   Yes, but it is a bit more complicated than that. I use an Obihai VoIP
adapter, which connects your analog phone to your Ethernet, but then
you need a service on the other end to facilitate the phone calls. It
supports Google Voice, if you want to use that. I use voip.ms, which is
reliable enough and quite inexpensive, but it doesn't do a lot of
hand-holding, so the learning curve would be more challenging.

                                     Gary Duzan