Re: ImageMagick Strangeness

On Sat 19 Jun 2021 at 08:22:55 +0000, Todd Gruhn wrote:
> I found something strange:
>
> If I run  display<ret> or display6<ret> , or I type in the entire path, both
> versions work. If I add these to my .mwmrc, they both fail. Why?
>
> Here is the offending line:
>
>        "ImageMagick"    f.exec "/usr/pkg/bin/display6 &"

That's probably not so strange, really.

What is probably happening is that when you start mwm, /usr/pkg/bin
isn't part of the $PATH environment variable. You probably set it in a
way so that it is picked up by terminals you start later, but that won't
help the window manager.

You could test if this is the case by adding some command to mwm, such
as

         "Tester"    f.exec "/tmp/tester"

where /tmp/tester contains something like

#!/bin/sh
env > /tmp/tester.out

and after you run it from mwm, you check what's in /tmp/tester.out.

-Olaf.
--
___ Q: "What's an anagram of Banach-Tarski?"  -- Olaf "Rhialto" Seibert
\X/ A: "Banach-Tarski Banach-Tarski."         -- rhialto at falu dot nl