Re: procfs difference between NetBSD and Linux

On Thu 03 Jun 2021 at 09:12:52 -0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
> What happens:
>
> namei() return EEXIST when it works on a CREATE operation and
> crosses a mountpoint.
>
> procfs cheats in that the directory nodes like /proc/$pid/fd are
> served by procfs and have a v_mount pointing to /proc. But the
> file descriptors /proc/$pid/fd/$fd are magic aliases and you get
> the real vnode of that open file which belongs to a different
> mount, e.g. /dev/pts for a pty or a ffs filesystem for a regular file.
>
> For namei() that's crossing a mountpoint -> EEXIST.

I guess the question for the short term is: will it work as intended
when the O_CREAT flag is omitted from the call (since it is redundant
in this case anyway)?

-Olaf.
--
___ Q: "What's an anagram of Banach-Tarski?"  -- Olaf "Rhialto" Seibert
\X/ A: "Banach-Tarski Banach-Tarski."         -- rhialto at falu dot nl