Re: Some questions about build.sh, machine, -u and tools

Sorry if you are receiving this message for the second time. I can't see
it in the ML, so I'm resending it.

On mag 05 15:34, Valery Ushakov wrote:

> Yes.  It's just formatted using mdoc, but is not installed as part of
> system manual pages.

Ok! This is what produced that header.

> I think Martin explained it pretty well in another followup.

Yes, it was very useful :)

> If by the "directory tools" you mean the one in the build directory
> (it took me a while to realize that), then yes.  It's called an objdir
> and is a standard make(1) feature.  Please check make(1).

Sorry, it was not clear. Assume that you run, on a NetBSD 9.99.81 amd64
host system,

./build.sh -U -O ~/obj -j2 -m evbarm -a aarch64 tools

(as in par. 32.1 of The NetBSD Guide)

then you will have, in ~/obj, two subdirectories:

tooldir.NetBSD-9.99.81-amd64
tools

By "directory tools" I was meaning the last one listed above,
`~/obj/tools'. I hope that ~/obj is in this case what you mean by
"build directory".

As regards ~/obj/tools and running make(1) in this directory,

     .OBJDIR         A path to the directory where the targets are built.

Now I understand why you wrote ``tools is the objdir for the
src/tools, a place where tools are built'' in the previous message.

> Yes, we build our own make, sed, etc as part of the tools build and
> install them in $TOOLDIR/bin.  We add nb- prefix to the installed
> versions to avoid name clashes with the host programs.  E.g. GNU
> programs (can) do the same, using g- prefix (and in some cases that g-
> even fused into the name (gcc, gawk)).

Oh, amazing! And I guess `nb' stand for `(N)et(B)SD'.

Thank you so much,

Rocky