Re: reboot hangs at "uhid2 at uhidev9 report id 7 ..."

On Wed 05 May 2021 at 15:18:03 +0900, Henry wrote:
> I recently installed 9.1 on a HP 15-au123cl.  The install seemed to go
> fairly smoothly, and I was able to get the sets via ftp.
>
> The system kept booting into single user mode, but searching around I
> finally figured out that I needed to edit /etc/rc.conf.  I thought I
> had successfully changed to rc_configured=YES.

The installer is also supposed to do that for you, so there must have
been something weird there.

> However, since then, whenever I try to boot the machine it hangs at:
> [   4.7432765] uhid2 at uhidev9 report id 7: input=0, output=0 feature=256
> (the numbers in brackets change; I have seen 7582388, 225.834047, 4.9366070).
> There seems to be nothing else to do other than to hold down the power
> button and shut the computer off.

The "[   4.7432765]" is a timestamp so it's not so strange that it
varies a bit.

"uhid" is a "human interface device", usually a mouse or keyboard. There
should be a line earlier in the output, starting with "uhidev9:" which
tells you what sort of device it is. For example, for my mouse:

uhidev0: Logitech (0x46d) USB Optical Mouse (0xc05a), rev 2.00/54.00, addr 1, iclass 3/1

> What can I do to get the computer to boot?  (Or, did the computer
> suddenly give out on me?)

Hopefully that will tell you which device it is, and you can try to
unplug it and then boot. Sometimes devices like iPhones present
themselves as multiple devices to the computer. The high number (9) may
be explained by something like that.

> Henry
-Olaf.
--
___ Q: "What's an anagram of Banach-Tarski?"  -- Olaf "Rhialto" Seibert
\X/ A: "Banach-Tarski Banach-Tarski."         -- rhialto at falu dot nl