Re: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:

RVP wrote in
<alpine.NEB.2.22.394.2104261944390.18736%otaku.sdf.org@localhost>:

|Use POSIX shm_open+sem_open? That should let you do proper reference
|counting w/o a server. You'll have to pull in -lrt on Linux & NetBSD
|for this though...

Well, that module had (file-locked file-based) reference counting.
It will not work with programs backgrounding away, like tmux.
Unless you PAMify them all.  Even then.
Any shell script can background away.
You thus need a global authority collecting all per-user programs
that execve(2) away from a (child of a) program who enabled
a session, which was what i (who never looked into this, being

Yes. Programs which do exec will be a problem with PAM. Worse if
the program does daemon() then exec(). Then, even login won't be
able to keep track of them. It'll have to handled by init itself.
(We haven't even considered X11 programs here...)

We come back full circle to a sort-of systemd impl. it seems...

-RVP