Re: Installing NetBSD 9.1 on USB stick, not booting

On Tue, Apr 06, 2021 at 07:22:22AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> A device booted via UEFI (as you are apparently setting up) will not
> need any bootsector installed, so the installer does not ask for anything
> but just puts the proper file(s) into the EFI partition.
>
> If you are preparing the stick for another machine (that does not boot
> via UEFI but uses BIOS) the installer (assuming it runs on the target
> machine and can use all characteristics of the current machine to set up
> the installation) will not work.

Thanks a lot. I found that the device I am booting had BIOS option of
'Legacy' and 'UEFI'. Choosing the latter helped boot.

BTW isn't it good for the installer to not assume anything about the
target machine? It makes the installation more resilient to hardware
changes.

--
Mayuresh