Re: How to invoke 'make' for updating a meta package?

On Mon, 5 Apr 2021 at 01:21, Bob Bernstein <poobah%ruptured-duck.com@localhost> wrote:

> The meta package in question is modular-xorg. Mine is quite old.
>
> My spidey-sense tells me that in practice one does not "update"
> a meta-package per se. Or perhaps not?

I wouldn't do that; from source, pkg_rolling-replace; from binary,
'pkgin update && pkgin upgrade' is all I have been doing for quite
some time. I don't quite understand the point of 'make update'; its
results have been rather unpredictable, at least in the past. I often
do 'make replace' on leaf packages, knowing that if the worst comes
only they will break, and a pkg_rolling-replace will sort them out
anyway.

--
----