Re: ispell-british (for 9.0/amd64) has broken hash files

"Greg A. Woods" <woods%planix.ca@localhost> writes:

> kre mentioned giving up on ispell, but I found it "hard" to use anything
> but ispell with emacs, so as I've upgraded systems and ended up tripping
> over this breakage, I've eventually persevered to make it work again.

I am using emacs built from pkgsrc, and M-x ispell runs aspell, via
ispell-program variable set to /usr/pkg/bin/aspell.  It seems to work
fine.  Sometimes I even run it.

> I don't remember why aspell didn't work for me (I have hacks in my
> .emacs.el to try to use it), but I do remember it was much easier to fix
> ispell than to make aspell work.

For me, it seems to be default.  See ispell.el, defcustom for
ispell-program-name.

> At Wed, 03 Feb 2021 08:33:11 -0500, Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:
> Subject: Re: ispell-british (for 9.0/amd64) has broken hash files
>>
>> If you follow upstream's build instructions, not using pkgsrc, does it
>> work?
>
> I guess so?  That's more or less how I've changed the package to make it
> work -- I.e. just use the supplied makefile.

I see - I did not get that impression earlier and thought this was an
upstrream rototill being submitted to pkgsrc.

>> It sounds like you should be sending your fixes to ispell upstream, but
>> maybe there is a pkgsrc bug, vs, a lack of pkgsrc workaround for an
>> upstream bug.
>
> Here's the PR with my fixes:  pkg/55972

Thanks - I hope someone has a look at this.  I may, in a bit, but I
would be very happy if someone beats me to it!