Re: libusb not working properly on 9.0/9.1

On gen 20 13:25, Craig Kulesa wrote:

> Hi Rocky,

Hi Craig :)!
I share the quotes from you message here, hoping that this does not bother
you: I think it could be very useful for anyone interested.

> I'm using libusb in NetBSD 9 and am not having trouble with it.  But as
> Manuel points out, I think only ugen devices are accessible.  This limits
> how useful libusb can be.

OK! This was also the guess from Manuel.

> From the posting you made for uhubctl, I think what is happening is that
> your hub is already attaching as uhub0, not ugen0, and so libusb cannot see
> it.
>
> This is a common phenomenon -- a driver like uhid or uhub attaches and then
> ugen cannot.

I was not sure about how ugen is used from the system (and never actually
dealt with them before), now it's more clear.

> FreeBSD gets around this, I believe, by attaching both ugen and uhid. That
> way, you can use libusb on any device without having to do anything.

It's a workaround, but it's effective :).

> An alternative would be to allow detaching as uhub or uhid, and reattaching
> as ugen.
>
> Hope that helps, though it doesn't solve your problem just yet...

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. If it worked, there's no problem for me as
regards following this procedure "by hand". The real issue is maybe with
the connected devices: a USB key, a mobile phone, a mouse... Would I be able
to use them as before?

AFAIK from drvctl(8), `drvctl -d uhub0' should detach uhub. How can then
I reattach it as ugen?

Bye!

Rocky