Re: VPS instance crashed, hangs during boot

Rhialto <rhialto%falu.nl@localhost> writes:

> [1:text/plain Hide]
>
> On Tue 29 Dec 2020 at 14:25:43 +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
>> I have skipped /etc set when upgrading. Hope it won't cause any surprises.
>
> If you did an update in place (not erasing everything first), then some
> old shared libraries should still remain there for use with your
> existing packages.
>
>> Mayuresh
> -Olaf.

Slight caution...  I performed a few updates from 8.0_STABLE (at some
point in its history) to 9.0_STABLE and while nearly all packages worked
just fine but there were problems with certain packages that linked
libcrypto.  In particular, sendmail, apache and postgresql would drop
core when they attempted to use crypto functions, for example, postgres
would not be able to take connections that were gssapi based, but normal
ones worked fine and sendmail would be unable to start at all.  I do not
fully understand what was happening except that it seemed like the main
body of the program would get the newer libcrypto, and then would dlopen
(in the case of apache, for example) a .so. module which was hard linked
to the older version and things went south from there.  Not all packages
were effected, for example, samba4 was just fine.  This would have been
between libcrypto.so.12.0 and libcrypto.so.14.0.  This condition for me
was 100% reproducable (for amd64 at least) and happend on a number of
systems I updated using the "overlay the new stuff followed by
postinstall" method that I always use.

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org