Re: npf questions

On Tue, Dec 01, 2020 at 09:37:05AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> * fragments
>
> The documentation says npf reassembles fragments.  That makes sense,
> because that way rules can be applied to the whole packet, and fragments
> can't be used to bypass the filter.
>
> One of my systems is logging IPv6 multicast mdns fragments as blocked,
> even though that's allowed.  It seems that with the plan of fragments
> being reassembled, those should have been reassembled and then had rules
> applied.
>
> Does the fragment reassembly work for broadcast/multicast IPv6?

I note that this behaviour has changed; in netbsd-9.1, reassembly
appears off by default, controlled by a pair of bools, see
npf-params(7).

(I recently spent too long figuring this out, which was breaking
inbound SIP for me).

--
Paul Ripke
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds