Re: mod_ssl warning with apache-2.4.46nb1

Mike Pumford <mpumford%mudcovered.org.uk@localhost> writes:

> On 10/12/2020 17:15, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>
>> In this case, it seems you are using old NetBSD and pkgsrc is built
>> against a newer version than 9.0 because there are some bugs ixed that
>> matter tor other things (rust, not apache AFAIK).
>>
> Rust is a PITA. As someone that does my own local builds for pkgin I
> have a lot of sympathy for that decision.

While I am sympathetic to the point of view that rust is troublesome, in
this case there was an actual bug in NetBSD that was found because of
rust and the bug was fixed.  So this particular issue is not rust's
fault at all.

>> Also, openssl 1.1.1g really ought to be binary compatible with 1.1.1d.
>> If not that's an openssl bug, and it's a bug in NetBSD that we applied
>> it on the branch.  But, my best guest is that it's toally fine.
>>
> I'd expect it to be safe as well. The biggest risk would be if the
> newer modssl used a symbol that didn't exist in the old library but
> that would blow up completely at module load time.

A very good point that it is only probabalistically safe in theory.  We
do try not to do things that cause mix/match along branches to be
trouble, but you are right that new openssl having a symbol that old
doesn't is not an ABI break.