Re: .cshrc elm and PIDs

You wrote:
> >/dev/null to the pgrep line.
>
> To track down the cause...
> Are you running this script in the background, or re-running it
> periodically (at a time which would account for the PID showing up in
> the text)?
> Maybe add a "date >> $HOME/log" to the script to record when it gets run
>
> On the ~ - is that form within elm or within vi-in-elm? (Sorry, its
> been too long since I switched to pine for my elm neurons :-p
>
> David
> Do you have any of your setup conditionalised on being in an interactive shell?

Blackholing the output of pgrep seems to have fixed it.

Without that the PID of any running elm process on that account shows
up on a line by itself after the "you have mail" notification before
the first csh prompt, before the ~ if trying to read from a file in
vi, or running an external program over part of a vi buffer.  It's not
restricted to vi-in-elm, so elm itself is probably not implicated.

I imagine it's left hanging around in a buffer in the shell and never
gets cleared deown.

Thanks for spending so many action potentials (and glial cell support
- never forget the glia) on my issue.

--
Steve Blinkhorn <steve%prd.co.uk@localhost>