Re: firefox52 core dump on RPI2 NetBSD9.1

On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 08:27:22AM +0100, Bodie wrote:
> Based on discussion on other list you were given tips what to do,
> did you test them?

If there are any tips that I missed, please do point out.

[ If you are referring to a post that says my toolchain might be invalid,
I already pointed out that I did not build anything at my end. I have
downloaded the binary packages and binary OS image. ]

> Besides based on your description you picked up totally wrong platform
> for your job.

I am using this device for several years and have used firefox on it. It
used to work fine till NetBSD 8 (or 7 I don't recollect). I can make do
with 1 tab and when not needed, can switch off js.

Of late I was using Raspbian on the device and wanted to switch back to
the latest NetBSD version.

> If this is Severity - critical for you and you are stuck without browser
> completely then you did something seriously wrong in planning phase of
> whatever project you're in, because it means you do not have backup
> platform or better to say more suited platform for the task at hands ;-)

Not really, both the points. As I said I have been using NetBSD on this
device and I have a fallback option to Raspbian.

Basically, I myself had reported the .strtab issues long back in 8.99
- I think that was in the context of squid probably. I got to know in this
thread that those have been fixed. So it's a bit surprising that they
are recurring. And they are occurring with a binary download of both the
OS image and packages. Hence I thought they should be wider interest.

I'd request inputs on the .strtab issue and why it occurs on all binary
download with nothing built at my end. Whether NetBSD suits my device and
whether the device suits firefox - let me experiment. May be it proves
to be unsuitable but let's take one issue at a time.

--
Mayuresh